Log in

Dumfries and Galloway Council

Question: What help can people that have been made redundant get?

Asked by jlvallance to Alastair, Elaine, Sandra, Ted on 30 Sep 2010 in Categories: .

0 Comment on this question

  • Photo: Elaine MurrayElaine Murray answered on 29 Sep 2010:

    There’s a government sponsored organisation called PACE who can come in when a company is going to close or make people redundant to offer advice on getting other jobs, training, opportunities to be slef employed etc. and the jobcentre offers advice on alternative employment. Organisations such as Citizens Advice can advise on benefits, also employment rights if someone has been unfairly sacked.


  • Photo: Sandra McDowallSandra McDowall answered on 29 Sep 2010:

    It’s always hard when someone is made redundant but the Council can’t do much, I’m afraid. Sometimes a decision is taken to use the redundancy payment to start up a small business and Business Gateway can offer advice.


  • Photo: Alastair WittsAlastair Witts answered on 30 Sep 2010:

    I’m very lucky that I was never made redundant, but I feel for people who have been (my eldest son has been made redundant three times). I know that you get unemployment benefit for so long, depending on how long you had been working, and then you have to rely on social security if you still haven’t found a job. At the moment we are at the mercy of the new Conservative/Liberal Democrat government in London, who decide matters like benefits, and I don’t think they are minded to give out more benefits. I think we have to see the difference between people who are unemployed through no fault of their own, and want to get back into work, and those who don’t want to work, and make no effort to find a job. I also think the difference between what the best paid in work get, and what the poorest paid get, is much too wide. We used to have supertax for the highest paid, but that’s gone now.