Meet the councillors!
I am not a party member; I’m an independent councillor!
Vice Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee
I was a shipbroker for The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company…..
You are way ahead of me with questions! Will do as many as possible now.
Favourite Thing: Today, my favourite thing about D&G? Paul Jones fresh bread – especially the GI brown.
Me and my council work
My job is to make sure that the Council treats you and your family fairly.
That’s the short answer. The long one would send you to sleep unless you are excited by supervising things like:
Licensing Taxis, Pubs, Chippies and Sex Shops (but we haven’t got one in D&G yet)
Waste Management ie Bins, Recycling and the EcoDeco plant in Dumfries
Tourism, Arts, the local Economy
Environmental Health – eg have Butchers’ Shops got E-Coli?
Performance Management right across the council (that’s a showstopper)
Checking on Schools, Libraries and Museums
Roads, bridges and pavements – Keeping them good
Social Work – the Council helps families and older people, often well but sometimes not.
Police and Fire Services
My Typical Day
There’s no such thing, but I’ll do a daily diary extract to give you an idea – see below
Wednesday (today) More Desk: including answering a worry from the public about how a community council is working, considering a planning application (may have to go to Kirkcudbright to research) and looking over Police Fire and Rescue Committee papers as there are proposals to reduce staff.
Tuesday a desk bound day plus a trip to Auchencairn to speak to MarineScotland about windfarm plans. Lots of questions from BigVoters
Monday up at about 6.45 and drive with husband, son and dog to Dumfries.
Meetings with councillors and officials in morning about Social Work and the savings we need to make, and if it’s like last week, deal with about 24 e-mails.
Afternoon, discuss Crannog, which is an organisation that provides lessons and support for pupils who cannot hack school. Plot world domination with fellow independent councillor George Prentice – this is not true, i am just checking anyone reads this.
Zoom back to Kirkcudbright to hear what people have to say about extending the windfarm at Robin Rigg and in Wigtown Bay. Home about 9 o’clock i should think.
What I'd do as "Youth Champion"
It’s a no-brainer – I’m a politician: the first thing I would do would be to brag about it to the newspapers. Then, see below
After that i would
1. look at the issues you have raised during these two weeks
2. work out what should (and could) be done in the short, medium and long term about them
3 talk to the other councillors who represent the wards you live in, and work with you and them to achieve as near as possible what you are looking for
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
small, Scots and aggressive (those were the words used by the mutual friend who introduced my husband and me)
Who is your favourite singer or band?
What is the most fun thing you've done?
Recently? – spent 10 days in Edinburgh at the Fringe this summer, escaping the tyranny of childrearing
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
if it was just for me, good health, happy family, quick death
What did you want to be after you left school?
a student – i couldn’t see further than that
Were you ever in trouble in at school?
No, i was far too careful
What's the best thing you've done as a councillor?
Pious answer is ‘ listened, then spoken only when necessary’ but i’m a Councillor so it doesn’t happen often
Tell us a joke.
i cant think of one, but will ask son Freddie next week
My profile link:
- You all keep the good work up!!!!! xxx for you elaine
- Is it true that the councillors won’t let Castle Douglas Tesco have their own petrol station?
- what are you surgesstions to solve underage drinking ?
- Would you agree that it is difficult for young people to get jobs in Dumfries and Galloway? Have you planned any aims
- There is a lot of chewed gum littered in my local park, and in other public places too, such as telephone boxes, and
- what vwould you give to help the disabled
- what are you working on to help the community
- In this current finacial climate and the cuts that are inevitable, why are the council pushing forward a series of
- Why are there no Conservative Councillors on this site? After all they are the largest party in the council.
- Does being an independent Councillor make your job harder?
- View all my answered questions