Meet the councillors!
Over 11 years
Shadow Minister for Environment, member of Rural Affairs and Environment Committee
Being an MSP is a full time job. I used to be a research scientists, a lecturer for the Open University, as assistant to a Member of the European Parliament and a councillor
Thank you everyone - and sorry to the last group of peoole who asked questions I was at a meeting
Favourite Thing: My favourite thing about Dumfries and Galloway is the people, followed by the landscape
Me and my council work
I am the Member of the Scottish Parliament for Dumfries constituency.
I have been the MSP for Dumfries since 1999. The constituency consists of the town of Dumfries, Annandale and Eskdale and a small part of Mid and Upper Nithsdale. The Scottish Parliament is responsible for passing legisaltion on “devolved” matters. These include Health, Education, Environment, Justice, Economy, Culture and Sport, Rural Affairs, Local Government, Transport and Climate Change. I also take up issues on behalf of individual constituents and run an office at 5 Friars Vennel, Dumfries.
My Typical Day
There’s no such thing as a typical day!
When I am in Parliament I attend Committee meetings (Wednesday mornings), Laboru Group meetings (Tuesday afternoon), Cross Party Groups and briefing meetings – which can be any time and meeting with groups who are interested in the environment. Parliament sits on Wednesday afternoons and all day on Thursday – I often make speeches in Parliament and ask questions of Ministers and the First Minister. When I am in the constituency I meet with constituents, visit schools and workplaces, meet with representatives of local organisations and hold advice surgeries. I also have lots of fun things to do such as attending galas and common ridings and being a guest at events.
What I'd do as "Youth Champion"
Make sure young people’s voices are heard!
Young people should be able to influence the services they receive (or don’t receive!). I would hold advice surgeries especially for young people to hear their views directly, and would attend meetings of school councils and youth groups. I’d also like to work more closesly with the region’s Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament. I’d also make sure that the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government Ministers heard the views and ideas of local young people.
Having considered this a bit more after taking part I wonder whether an online surgery / web based access to teh young person’s champion might be a good way of keeping in touch?
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Fun, intelligent, hardworking
Who is your favourite singer or band?
What is the most fun thing you've done?
Recently – the Waterfall Adventure at Puerta Plata in the Domincan republic
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
1. For my family and friends to be healthy and happy 2. to be thinner and fitter 3. to own a dog again
What did you want to be after you left school?
Were you ever in trouble in at school?
Frequently – I was a mischievous kid
What's the best thing you've done as a councillor?
Helping my constituents and fighting for their interests
Tell us a joke.
A man bought an old lamp in an antique shop and cleaned it when he got home. A genie appeared and offered to grant him 3 wishes. “I want to a be a millionaire” said the man, and £1m appeared in his bank account. “I want a fast car” he said – and a Ferrari appeared outside his house. “I want to be irresistable to women” he said for his final wish – and instantly was transformed into a box of chocolates.
My profile link:
Ask me a question!
- did you do well in school.?
- As We were in a concession, why did the government choose to build DG1 and are doing far too many things to the town,
- as a teenager myself there is nothing to do or and shops and i usually drink every weekend becasue there is nothing to
- Who would you have chosen to be the leader of the Labour party? Do you like Ed MIliband bieing the leader?
- Hi Elaine, What do you like to do whilst you are not busy? From Hazel…
- Do you think Ed Miliband is the right person to steer Labour to victory in the next General Election?
- what made you want to be an MP?
- why do we have to pay for transport and not get it for free
- I think that bus prices are quite high. Some of the buses have different prices for the same route! Is there anything
- thanks for answering my question , is it stressful waorking as an msp and do u like what you are down and do you not
- View all my answered questions